3.16.2008

The head pounds. One of those not-here posts.

For some reason today I cannot stop thinking about the Humanities Project.
The beautiful Sam and I are partnering up for this as well. The Roe v. Wade Project has been really wonderful working with her and I am so glad she decided to work with me for all of next year as well. I've been doing a lot of thinking about my role as a survivor of sexual violence in the project. The project's focus is sexual violence awareness through the arts. I often wonder how I would fit in the project if it were not a "personal" thing to me. It's personal for Sam too, personal in different ways. I'm sure I would have the same amounts of compassion and I'm sure my drive to see the end of sexual violence would be the same. I'm not making sense. I received a copy of Ellen Bass and Laura Davis' The Courage to Heal Friday in the mail. We are using it as a resource for the project but I've done some personal interest reading as well.
Sam and I have so much work to do this week for the Roe v. Wade Project. While it is incredibly exciting, it also has a certain level of expectation and stress involved.
I'm feeling slightly overwhelmed and am very relieved to know that I do not have school next week. It is going to be nice, to have time to breathe and think and practice and think and write and memorize and read.
The throat hurts, allergies.
Church this morning was beautiful.
Secret # 2, 158, 924:
Whenever I see women outside of abortion clinics with scary pro-life signs, I imagine someone from across the street calling the fire department and I imagine their pro-life signs being sprayed violently. I consider myself a fairly peaceful person and when I see women trying to betray their very right to choose with disturbing anti-choice signs, I want to throw something harmless but irritating at them, give them a pie in the face.
love, jessieh

5 comments:

Angela said...

You are a wonderful and amazing person. I love you!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
The Speaker said...

Angie,
You are incredible.

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry you see the abortion clinic protestors as you do. See, I was nearly an "abortion statistic" myself. When my birthmother found herself pregnant with me, my birthfather told her to "get an abortion". She told him he needed to give her the money, tell where to go, and who to see and she would do so. Fortunately, he didn't give her the money needed for the procedure. If he had--I would be dead. I don't believe any woman has the right to take the life of the most innocent person there is--the unborn child--to make up for the sins of others (herself, the father) or for convenience. As I like to put it, my life was not my mother's choice. If she didn't want to find herself pregnant, she could've said "no" another time. As to the rape/incest: abortion does not "unrape" the woman, and it's never right to take an innocent life. Instead-go after the ones who raped the victims and make them pay dearly. It's also appalling to me how some churches can condone abortion as simply a 'matter of choice'. The Bible talks of how God formed us from the womb and knew our inward parts before our own mothers knew of our existence. The births of Isaac, Samson, Jacob and Esau, Samuel, and John the Baptist were all foretold by God. I doubt seriously God would've sent the Angel Gabriel to Mary had Mary been "pro-choice", and yes, abortions were performed back then. I do appreciate that you don't react in a violent manner to those protesting at the abortion clinics. Please understand, though, that I do support those protesting peaceably. Like I said, I was nearly an "abortion statistic". Thank God my father didn't give my mother the money for an abortion! Just knowing my parents wanted to kill me before I was born scares me. All the best to you.

B.J.

Oh, I was reading my Uncle Jay's blogs when I saw your comments on his site. Yep, his blog is "A Male's Life After Rape". He's always been a favourite of mine.

The Speaker said...

Thank you for you comments. I think it is important for you to realize that had you been aborted you would have recall of it. I'm sure it's weird thinking in those terms; but if your birthmother had aborted you, I'm sure it wouldn't have been out of hatred or anger toward you and it would not have been a "I'd like to kill my baby please" situation.

However the case, I'm glad you are here and I respect your situation and your opinion.