7.03.2007

PostSecret Madness

-This Blog Contains Stolen Subject Matter And Material-
I'm out of town.
So I stopped blogging.
And I guess the only thing that makes me want to blog is other people's idiocy. I think that's what I'll rename this blog. Other People's Idiocy.I'm sure you've heard of PostSecret. It's a great art project that has touched many people's lives. People write their secrets on postcards and send them to Frank Warren, who runs the site on his own time for no money. He picks twenty or so cards each week, probably from hundreds or thousands, and puts them up as images. PostSecret is usually ranked in the Top 20 blogs read nationally on Technorati .
It's worth mentioning that Frank's mailing address is his actual house and it is displayed clearly on the site.Frank posts every Sunday. There were no new cards this week, not Sunday morning, Sunday night, or today. In addition, the comments section, which he usually screens and picks out maybe four or five to post, had gone insane, with over 3,500 comments there last time I looked. Alot of them were people posting their own secrets, supporting eachothers secrets, a few of them were people attacking eachother's secrets, some of them were wondering what had happened to Frank. Additionally, the suicide prevention number that had always been on the site was gone. No explanations. The monkeys had totally taken over the lab.
After reading 40 or so comments that asked where Frank was or begging someone to drive to his house to check on him, I did the following.
It was incredibly difficult and it took days and days of my time.
1) I Googled Germantown + Marlyand + police
2) I called the police department and said "I know this may sound strange, but. . " and then told them what I just told you.
3) The police said they would drive out to check on him and had me repeat what I had said to a dispatcher
4) I called back when they told me to and I was told Frank went on vacation.
I won't get in to the madness that is PostSecret right now, with so many posts that i can't download the site anymore. A lot of the people there seem to be supporting and helping eachother with their secrets, which is great.What I will say is this -- clearly I don't blog enough for anyone to get worried when I don't, but what happened with Frank was like someone not showing up to work for 8 days.
So to my family and friends:If I ever disappear for more than a usual amount of time and you have no way of reaching me, CALL THE FREAKING POLICE.And I promise that if you ever disappear, I won't sit at my computer and wring my hands and try to figure out what message you're trying to send me with your absence. I will also call the freaking police. Bloggers, let your audiences know if you are leaving town and don't plan to to communicate.
love, jessieh
PS: Thus far, on my trip, I've made eleven PostSecrets. If Frank doesn't post any of them, I promise to post them here. Well, maybe.

4 comments:

Jen said...

Hey -- If you're going to steal my material, could you at least credit me?

And if you're not, well, you should think about writing for Hollywood.

Jen

The Speaker said...

Ha. I'm really excited that you caught me.

Jen said...

Hi Jessieh,

I am honestly so honored that you liked what I wrote enough to repost it. I very rarely blog and it's nice to know people read and liked it at all.

I was curious to see if there had been any other progress from PostSecret since I cannot load the site anymore, so I went on Technorati and searched it, and your post came up.

Sorry to have made your paranoia come true. BTW, I think your site is beautifully laid out, and I love the Ani DiFranco song -- I think that's the last cd of hers I actually bought.

I'd like to link to your blog too if that's OK.

Jen

The Speaker said...

That sounds great. Keep blogging, it's evident and good for our moral.