5.10.2007

Reading- Lolita

Jessieh is reading... (and you ask why?)

Yes. I am reading Lolita.
My first comment: The review board of Vanity Fair must consist of several strangely sick individuals. There is NO love in pedophilia. When a man engages in sexual activity with a twelve year old- it is pedophilia.

Why I am reading Lolita:

Several reasons:

A.) I enjoy reading controversial material, especially when I know I have a bias in the matter. It leaves me with questions and answers to find. It also gives me something to argue about.
B.) I intend to write a very very very informative paper about the book once I am finished and I plan to deconstruct some of the viewpoints clearly presented (i.e. "Lolita is a love story.").
C.) It allows me to take a some-what political stand against sexual abuse, instead of only taking a personal stand against it.

Tid bits of Lolita (as of page 71):

- The pedophile-narrator named Humbert had intentions of becoming a Psychiatrist. Which I find incredibly interesting.
- The sicko-Humbert-is convinced he is the power of the universe. He views himself as some form of god. Humbert, the pervert, claims that certain girls: "nymphets" can only be identified by an "artists or a madman". He tells of how men are subject to the "spells" of the "nymphets". According to Humbert: Everything a "nymphet" (a vulnerable young girl between the ages of nine and fourteen) does can be thought of as solicitation.
- Humbert spent time in a mental hospital playing mind games with shrinks. Who let him go?
- Humbert begins writing down everything Lolita does. He is obsessed. He considers the tying of her shoes to a sex act in disguise.
- Lolita's mother flirts with Humbert even as he obviously preys on her twelve year old daughter. His advances are becoming more and more direct, blatant, often, and intentioned. I can tell from what I have read thus far that -this mother- is going to make me very angry. Probably as angry as Humbert is making me.
- Lolita is twelve years old and confused out of her mind.

love, jessieh

6 comments:

Eden said...

as long as your reading what you enjoy :)

The Speaker said...

what I enjoy.? Hmmm. Interesting.

Eden said...

yeah your telling me :P

Anonymous said...

Yess, I completely identify with the viewpoint. I think its a good view into the way pedophiles try to justify their actions into normality. However, they are not justifiable and never will be. But through this book, we can see just how disturbed they really are. I do not agree with glorifying it as a love story when it is not anything of that direction in its nature.

The Speaker said...

Oh Ms. Yarborough, speaking words or truth. Continue...

Anonymous said...

Lolita is so fantastically creepy. Just read it with an open mind and youll be good.