4.18.2007

Letters. Sex. Articles. Continued.

Letters-
I haven't exactly finished yet.On the Letters. (If you do not want to read about the letters and want to get on to Sex and Articles- skips this part and scroll down)They were mailed. I received mine and in case you didn't know. I am in. I will be attending the South Carolina Governor's School for the Arts and Humanities starting in August of this year. I am very excited. There are 16 slots open from all over the state. Here is the list of people that made it in
In
- Ms. Hepburn
- Sam
- Jonathon
- Sebastian
- Elizabeth
- Caleb
- and myself.
as of now, the other 9 slots remain unidentified.
Here is the list of people we know are not in. I send my sympathy to
- Judson
- Colleen
- Charlotte
- Courtney
On Sex -
Sex(It's Wikipedia - Everything one could possibly want to know about sexual intercourse in approved terms can be found at this link.)

I am tired of walking into a classroom and hearing about who "did" who last weekend. It bothers me. I personally find anyone talking about their sex life in a public environment-perverse, but to hear my fourteen, fifteen and sixteen year old classmates discuss who is losing their virginity this week is- disturbing.
It angers me. Sex is not something to do because your bored. It's not playing monopoly or chess. When these girls give their virginity away they do not get it back. It's not something you can exchange or return. It is irreplaceable. I get frustrated when high schooler’s talk about "getting laid".
Virginity is a precious gift. Just ask the girls my age that are being forced into sex slavery how they feel about their virginity? They didn't give theirs away. It was stolen from them.
I get angry about the media promoting sex. One of the recent promoters I've noticed is Converse shoes. Their advertising campaign is distasteful and does not promote the shoes. It just makes me angry. I'm sure the advertisers were not like "Oh. Let's make a teenager named Jessieh in South Carolina Angry." When they decided to be so sexually explicit with their advertising but, even so, it angers me. One of their ads features sex on a park bench and has the words "GET CHUCKED" in big bold letters. I've done some research and Converse claims the ad to be an example of the irreverence associated with Chuck Taylor’s. Because of the advertisement I have now associated within my head between skanky girl and nasty pervert guy in Chuck Taylor shoes with his hand nearly up her pants. Although there is no direct correlation, I will not wear converse tennis shoes again. It will not happen. I do not want to be remotely associated with that skank and that perv on a park bench. This does not mean that every time I see someone wearing Chuck Taylor's I think "skank" or "pervert" . This just means that every time I see someone wearing Chuck Taylor’s, I approach them to let them know that Converse exploits sex in their advertising and encourages exploitation by doing so.
I don't watch MTV. Not only is most of the music crap anyway, but it's loaded with exploited women and men.
I even have a hard time not getting angry with commercials. Especially "Tag" commercials. Every twelve year old boy runs around spraying that crap on himself in hopes that three tall, thin, big-breasted girls will walk into his bedroom one day and lift up their shirt. It's not the reality. It is brainwashing. It's sick.
I'm not finished. I haven't even began with sex and violence combined together in the media- which is disgusting. Sex and violence should never go together. When they do it is called sexual violence, and sexual violence is never a good thing. But for now, I must go work on schoolwork.
I will continue the rant on sex and articles at a later date.
love, jessieh

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As someone who dosen't watch tv, I have to say that to many people are against tv for the wrong reasons. The drone box isn't so deleterious because of sex, or violence, or sex mixed with violence. Television is bad because of how it promotes consumerism, materialism, blind patriotism, and brand loyalty.

-Judson

The Speaker said...

All beautiful points as well.