4.04.2008

The Girl by Marie Howe


While this is not my favorite poem by Marie Howe, it is one that feels appropriate for tonight.


THE GIRL BY MARIE HOWE

So close to the end of my childbearing life
without children

-if I could remember a day when I was utterly a girl
and not yet a woman-
but I don't think where was a day like that for me.

When I look at the girl I was, dripping in her bathing suit,
or riding her bike, pumping hard down the newly paved street,

she wears the furtive look-
and even if I could go back in time to her as me, the age I am now

she would never come into my arms
without believing that I wanted something.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you Jessieh. xoxo Jenny

The Speaker said...

We love you too.

Anonymous said...

It is so unfortunate that this is "sadly normal" for so many of us:(
keep the faith girl! You are an amazing young woman!
--Jenny's Evie J:)